October is National Pizza Month, so what better way to celebrate than getting the kids into the kitchen to make homemade Halloween themed pizzas?
These are surprisingly easy to make, and it gives you another reason to bring out those Halloween themed cookie cutters. Plus, kids love having the opportunity to help out in the kitchen, especially when they have a chance to make food fun.
- Pizza bases (pre-made, or roll your own)
- Mozzarella cheese (slices, shredded, and or cheese sticks)
- Pizza sauce
- Black olives
- Other toppings you may want to try: sweet potato, and bell peppers (see below for suggestions on how to use these).
Here are some things kids will love to help with:
- Rolling out dough
- Filling a cookie cutter with grated cheese, or cutting out a fun shape from a cheese slice using the cookie cutter
- Spreading the pizza sauce or pesto on the bases
- Assembling the features on their ghosts, Frankenstein, monsters, and mummies.
You will need to help them by cutting the pepperoni and olives into fun shapes, and slicing either cheese sticks or slices into bandages for the mummy, and features for Frankenstein.
- One-eyed monster– use a large round cheese slice with a pepperoni and olive on top, and make fun teeth out of cheese, or pepperoni. Use peppers in fun colors (red, yellow, orange, or green) to make spiky hair, or big curly ears. You could also use small pieces of the colored peppers for the center of the olive eye.
- A variety of Halloween cookie cutters: cats, moon, pumpkin, and witches hat.
- Assemble a spider out of olives, place on a web made of string cheese.
- A Jack ‘O Lantern. Cover a pizza with roasted sweet potato, add facial features using cheese.
Have you made Halloween pizzas? If so, let us know in the comments what you made to give our readers even more fun ideas.